FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Pathology?

Pathology is the medical field that specializes in examining samples of tissue removed during biopsies or operations to determine whether or not cancer or other diseases that cause abnormal growth of tissue may be present. Your doctor has selected Clin-Path Associates (“Clinpath”) to read your biopsy and/or specimen because he/she has trust and confidence in our Board Certified Dermatopathologists (skin pathologists). You can rest assured that your specimen will be treated with a sense of urgency and care. As soon as a pathologist signs out a case, it is immediately reported to your physician, who will contact you with the results of your biopsy.

Why did I receive a bill from Clin-Path Pathology?

Your physician has chosen Clinpath (which bills as Clinpath Pathology) to interpret the specimen removed at the time of your recent office visit. We are a Dermatopathology Group who specializes in the diagnosis of skin diseases.

As with any medical service, questions or issues concerning coverage or medical billing may arise. If they do, please call our billing department (Pathology Billing Services) at (623)266-7770. They will resolve all relevant questions or issues in an efficient and timely manner.

How are my tissues evaluated by my doctor?

Having sent your tissue sample (biopsy) to Clinpath for evaluation and interpretation, your physician is now in possession of definitive information needed for the proper diagnosis and treatment of the disease.

What happens to my tissue samples?

Tissue removed from surgery is kept for approximately 30 days or until the pathology case is completed. Thereafter, the tissue is disposed of as a bio hazardous material. The company maintains representative samples of the case permanently embedded in paraffin for 10 years from the date of collection.

Who bills my commercial insurance company for pathology services rendered?

When provided with all of the information required, Clinpath will submit billing claims to your commercial insurance carrier on your behalf. All remaining balances will then be submitted to you for final payment. Your insurance company may pay only a portion (or none) of your claim, depending on the terms of your policy.

What about claims to Medicare?

Our services are covered under Medicare Part B, and Clinpath will submit your Medicare claim on your behalf. Clinpath accepts assignment on all pathology testing, meaning that it will accept the dollar amount (as the amount you will be charged) that Medicare allows for these services. Since Medicare pays only 80% of the allowed amount for this type of testing, you will be billed for the remaining 20%, along with any applicable deductibles. Should you have a secondary insurance carrier; Clinpath will submit the claim on your behalf for the remaining 20% to that carrier.

Why didn’t my insurance company cover the entire amount?

Some insurance plans do not cover all of the pathology services rendered. When it occurs, Clinpath bills the patient for the remaining co-payment, deductible or balance due. If you have any questions regarding your bill, please call our billing department at (623) 266-7770.

How will I know I’ve received a bill for pathology?

Should we perform an anatomical test, Clinpath will send you a billing statement after the insurance carrier responds to your claim. A typical statement will include the following:

  • List of charges
  • Test description/CPT code
  • Date of Service
  • Name of referring physician
  • Name of pathologist
  • Insurance information
  • Medicare payment or response
  • Remaining balance

I’ve received my diagnosis. What’s next?

If your report results in continuance of care, your provider may want the materials associated to your case. Click here to obtain a copy of the special release form. Please print out and fax the completed form with your signature to: 480-478-8091. Please allow 48 hours for processing.